Some pictures of the local territory.


I am finally geting acclimated to the territory and the surroundings. I have learned a tremendous amount of spanish in the last 3 weeks and that has helped considerably in the field ministry. However I still often use a sticky note to help and the householders are very patient and appreciative when I (try to) speak their language. Last Sunday instead of returning with my "family" to Coronado, I stayed with another couple from my hall to preach in rural territory with another congregation. A few times a month, a congregation will rent a bus and all the publishers that are able will contribute a little and go to a territory that only gets worked a few times a year. In some of the more developed areas (i.e. Guapiles) there are 9 congregations so it is nice for the publishers to have the opportunity to work a territory that does not get reached often. I did two trips, one to Rio Frio and another to a place with a name difficult to remember. The people are extremely appreciative and very receptive. Due to the amount of territory to cover though, we are encouraged to be brief since it is definitely possible to spend an hour or more at any given house.
This can lead to some problems as there are many obstacles, like this bridge that was extremely hard to get across. Thankfully no one fell in =)
Some of the people in the territory are indigenous to the area or as they say here, they "live in the canopy". Most of these live back in the forest in shanty's like this one with only running water. This is one of my return visits.
I am finally geting acclimated to the territory and the surroundings. I have learned a tremendous amount of spanish in the last 3 weeks and that has helped considerably in the field ministry. However I still often use a sticky note to help and the householders are very patient and appreciative when I (try to) speak their language. Last Sunday instead of returning with my "family" to Coronado, I stayed with another couple from my hall to preach in rural territory with another congregation. A few times a month, a congregation will rent a bus and all the publishers that are able will contribute a little and go to a territory that only gets worked a few times a year. In some of the more developed areas (i.e. Guapiles) there are 9 congregations so it is nice for the publishers to have the opportunity to work a territory that does not get reached often. I did two trips, one to Rio Frio and another to a place with a name difficult to remember. The people are extremely appreciative and very receptive. Due to the amount of territory to cover though, we are encouraged to be brief since it is definitely possible to spend an hour or more at any given house.
This picture was taken in Rio Frio.
I thought for this post I would focus solely on how great the local brothers have been to me. From the start they have been extremely generous and supportive. Everyone wants to have you over for lunch or dinner or give you something. I've never been one for accepting a "hand out" that I didn't need but here there is no choice. Everyone wants to take care of you in some way and contribute to your well being. Bellow is the family I stay with. I eat with them, study with them and preach with them. They are very protective of me and are always asking "are you happy?" "How do you feel?" "Do you need anything?". Since their son Jose is learning english in school I have tried to help out where possible with his homework and we have a system where he will teach me a spanish word and I will teach him the english one. As we work in service together often, we practice and turn it into a little "game" to see who can remember the most new words. Even though he doesnt speak english, since we spend so much time together he has become my translator and can turn spanish words I don't understand into ones that I do somehow. Truly a testament to Jehovah's beautiful organization when I realize I've been living with them for 3 weeks like part of their family and before then I had never met them before in my life.
The amount of patience this family has showed is hard to explain. But they frequently stop to explain conversations or make sure I understand important decisions. Other members of the congregation I may not understand but they are always wanting to do something for you. One brother walked over to the house so I could come to his house and he could show me his tilapia pond. When I transfer from one family to the next there's always whispered conversation about what I should and shouldnt do and a tremendous amount of behind the scenes work to make sure that I am never left alone somewhere without a a brother to look out for me. One day after preaching I had a stomach pain from dehydration (which has happened before in the US). Even though I knew the source of the pain and inisisted I would be fine, the brother I was with that weekend took me to the clinic he works at and the doctor stayed late to administer some medicine through an iv. Even in the hour or so I was there another brother stopped by to see how I was. Then no matter how much I insisited the brother would not let me pay for the medicine. Other members of the congregation are just as helpful and protective and want to take me to see the beautiful places in the country. I could go on, but honestly even though there are definitely challenges, i.e. the bugs and the heat, the hardest part is not being able to express my gratitude to the extent I want to these incredible brothers and sisters.
Carl, are you back home or decide to stay. I have a friend who is going down and I gave him this blog. I have enjoyed following your travels
ReplyDelete